Friday, July 17, 2009

How does the baby come out?

How do you explain this to a 3 year old?

Little Man has never once asked me that question. (Although he watched Free Willy 3 the other day and at the end they show a Whale having a baby and he was watching with a kind-of terrified, but can't look away type of look on his face.) Yet he still didn't ask.


Now Squirt on the other hand, asks me everyday. As if my answer yesterday was not good enough. At first I didn't know what to say, but with both boys I've had C-Sections, and at least that isn't as graphic.

This was our first conversation on the matter:

S: Mommy, how the baby come out?
M: UHHHHHHHH... Well when you were born they cut mommy's tummy and took you out.
S: (Through tears) No mommy, i no want them to cut you, it will hurt
M: Oh, but they'll give me medicine, I'll be fine. I'll just have to stay in the hospital for a couple of days.
S: (Now down right crying) No mommy, i will miss you. Who take care of me?
M: Well, maybe Grandma Dial can come stay with you and she'll take care of you
S: (Instantly brightening) Grandma Dial come? Okay mommy, they can cut you!


So some days he comes over a little sad and out of no where says something like "Mommy, I no want them to cut you"

And other days out of no where he says something like "Mommy, they can cut you!"

I guess it depends on how much love he's feeling that day?!

6 comments:

mechan said...

My 3 year old little guy watched discovery Health with me and they did a c section. So every time we go to the Dr he asks them are the DR who is going to cut mommy to get the baby out. Little ones say the most interesting things

Nancy said...

Just let him know for sure that Grandma Dial will be there to take care of him.

JT42 said...

that's kind of funny. are you planning to have a c-section with this one??

tHe BrOwn FaMiLy said...

Too funny!! Kids are so cute about how they interpret things.

S and RA Beazer said...

too funny, you have the greatest little boys. I hope grandma Dial can come and stay.

Robins Fam said...

I had c-sections, too, so that was an easy one to answer. I guess one of these days they are going to have to learn the 'traditional' way of how babies get out, but I'll let that day come much, much later!