Saturday, July 4, 2009

All I have to say is...

Learn some 'net'iquette!

There was this girl I taught in primary when she was 8, I was also her Achievement Day leader from 10-11. I had to pick her up almost every week, she knew my kids, knew me, we had a good little relationship. They moved away in the last year. She is now 12 (and probably just barely 12 at that). Her brother recently found me on facebook (he's maybe 16?) so while looking at his profile I found her and requested her to be my friend.

Now, I'm definatly thinking 12 is way to young to be on facebook, and especially with this girl, and maybe it's because I still see her as a little girl. Anyway, I digress...

Imagine my surprise, when instead of saying "Jane Doe excepted you as a friend..." I get a personal message saying "I DO NOT KNOW U DO NOT SEND ME CRAP"

Okay, here is what I have to say about that. Yes she's 12 and probably has to be super careful of who she excepts as friends, I would hope that her parents even keep an eye on her on facebook, (which I highly doubt happens). Also, she did not know me by my first name, nor my maiden name which I also include on there. Also, my picture is not a real close-up and it's me and hubbie, so not the best. Still though, all she would have had to do is click on me, thinking who the heck is this? see that we had friends in common and think, hum do i know this person? Or she could have asked her brother, who we share as a friend.

I also know I could have written her back and explained who I am, but I really don't care. I was just shocked by the rude response sent to me. And it's bothered me. I'm not upset that she didn't accept me. I'm glad to know that she is cautious in who she lets see her profile, but really I think she needs to learn some 'net'iquette.

That's all I have to say about that.

4 comments:

Emilie said...

Yes! I agree. That was very rude. Kids can be brats!

The Prices said...

rude, for reals! I think you should send her a message explaining because she'll probably (hopefully) feel sheepish and possibly learn a lesson.

{krista} said...

WOW! That was beyond rude!!! We just let Arilee sign up, but I am also closely monitoring her activity! If she turns into a rude little PITB, she will be forever banned. Sheesh. Some peoples children!

Genny said...

I think you SHOULD write her and give her a little lesson in appropriate etiquette and speech. Obviously she isn't learning to be polite or to think things through logically and needs a lesson. I am trying to figure out who this girl is since I am sure I know her too....