Thursday, August 13, 2009

The battle of the Hamburger Helper

hamburger helper Pictures, Images and Photos

I got hamburger helper on sale last week. It was $.65/box. I got a tuna one, and a stroganoff one. I'm not crazy about HH, it's usually a little too salty. But somedays feeding my family for $.65 just makes it worth it. I put it on the menu for last Thursday. It was basically all I had left in the pantry (except meals I had planned for when my parents were here- Fri, Sat, Sun) and I've been working crazy hours last week and this week so I haven't had time to go to the store.

Well, I'm crazy pregnant lady with raging hormones and basically I didn't want HH. We decided to try this new little restaurant by our house. It was a kindof fast food type place, so still cheap but supposed to be really good. We got there to find that they had had a small kitchen fire and were closed. So we settled on Red Robin. $50 bucks down the drain.

Fri, Sat, Sun were good. I had a plan for those days.

Monday, no plan just the HH. Still didn't want it. So Macayo's here we come. $38 bucks down the drain.

Tuesday, no plan just the HH. Still didn't want it. So we ordered pizza. $15 bucks down the drain (because I didn't want pizza, I wanted a sub).

Wednesday, no plan just the HH. Still didn't want it. So we went to McDonalds. $15 bucks down the drain.

AND THEN WE WENT GROCERY SHOPPING. Because this madness had to stop.

See not only did we eat out for dinner, but I didn't have leftovers for lunch the next days and bread is currently on the list of "things that make me puke" so I had to buy lunch too.

So that 65 cent box of Hamburger Helper ended up costing me about $160 on food in the last week. That's not counting the grocery shopping. See I can't afford to be pregnant again. Oh, and did I mention Hubbie had to have $800 worth of dental work done? ON ONE TOOTH.

Current savings account balance: $0
Good food and good times: PRICELESS

Oh well! What ya gonna do?

8 comments:

mechan said...

i hear you . The smell of cooking food makes me gag. SO going out is our only option. husband drew the line . He is cooking when he can

Hailee said...

HaHaHaHa! This was so funny to read, although the grand total is no laughing matter. We already learned that Red Robin is a poor choice for an average week night I-don't-feel-like-cooking splurge. Very pricey.

S and RA Beazer said...

Been there done that, sounds like something I would do.

Genny said...

Ha ha you must be talking about Carolinas! It was pretty good.

By the way, nothing to be ashamed of. JJ and I have had more than one week like that during this pregnancy!

Miller Family said...

Julia you are so darn funny!!! I love all of your stories! I feel for in the sickness area...I was sick my ENTIRE pregnancy!! I hope it ends soon for you

charm said...

lol! Yeah, it's definitely hard to break-down and use the HH. :)

Train Gang said...

the kitchen is just a bad place to be when pregnant. the first 3 or 4 months the only thing I eat there is soup. which means the family eats a lot of soup/cereal/toast. so I give serious applause for even entertaining the thought to make HH.

Speaking of RR though, how can anyone not resist bottomless fries? I say its a good splurge...w/o the kids...those kids meals are ridiculous!

Robyn said...

You are so funny!! It sounds a lot like that jar of spaghetti sauce I've had in the cupboard for 3 months. :)