Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Does anyone know the life expectancy of a cricket?

I'm curious because it's a matter of life or death around here. Okay, not really, but it is a matter of getting sleep.

Saturday night we heard the sound of a cricket in Squirts closet. He started freaking out, but I couldn't find it for the life of me. I tore the closet apart with no luck. I told him to pretend that he was camping and to go to sleep. 4am brought him into my room crying because he could hear the cricket again. I told him to lay with me and go back to sleep. 4:05 started the "Mom I'm So Hungry" plea that lasted until 5:25. That was exactly 5 minutes before his Dad would walk in the door and could get him food without me having to get out of bed. I looked over and he was fast asleep. Little Booger.

Sunday night there were no sounds of crickets. He went to bed happily. When I was checking on everyone at about 10pm, I realized the cricket was back. I grabbed a flash light and started tearing apart the closet again. I found the little thing, but I didn't have my glasses on and he kindof blended with the carpet and I lost him again. But, he did jump out of the closet, so I thought well maybe he'll go away. Yeah right. 3:30 am brought Squirt back to my bed and started the "Mom, I'm Hungry" plea again. I told him to be quiet and go back to sleep, which Thankfully he did.

Monday night we could hear the cricket again, and again I tore the closet apart looking for him. But no luck. Dad was home this night and basically told Squirt to stop being a Pansie and to go to bed. At exactly 3:57am (Little Man informed me of this fact later) I was awoken by the most gut-wrenching, blood curdeling scream that I've ever heard. I hear a door slam against the wall as it's thrown open and hear feet pounding down the hall. I caught Squirt as he was nearly kicking my door down. I had about 1.2 seconds to wake up, orient myself and respond. It was heart stopping. I bend down and just hold Squirt and all I can hear in between his crying and gasping for breath is "Cricket... back... Cricket... back..." It was one of those "ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME MOMENTS" but I had to hold my tongue because he was literally trembling. Another 2 seconds later and I hear "Mom?" coming from the other room. Even the dog was staggering out from under my bed like "What the heck?" So I lay Squirt down on the couch with some cartoons and try to lay back down, but then I heard Little Man get up and the fighting started. Squirt came in my room probably 12 times telling me Little Man was being mean. Then at 5:30am he asks to go play out side. It's really going to be a long day. Dad slept peacefully thru the whole thing thanks to ear plugs although he said he heard it all, which I don't believe but whatever, that's a whole 'nother post for another day.

And I WILL find that cricket today.

5 comments:

The Prices said...

Stupid crickets. We always had them in our basement growing up....hate them!

Nancy said...

Hopefully they don't live too long.
Hang in there!

Hailee said...

Two to three months. Sorry.

SuperMommy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SuperMommy said...

So...Kyle used to do pest control...I think he used Raid on ours. So it's life expectancy was approximately two night before Kyle COULD NOT take it any more! (It's weird, but I kind of felt bad for the little chirper)