Monday, September 14, 2009

Can I tell you a story?

You have time right?

Okay, 9 years ago when Hubbie and I moved into our first "family" ward (at church) we got called into Nursery. We were responsible for a good 20 kids ages 18 months-3 years old. There was one little 2 year old who loved Hubbie. She immediatly went to him, she sat on his lap, he read to her, he colored with her, etc... He loved her just as much and took care of only her (leaving me with the other 19 kids!!) Her name was Elizabeth but her parents called her Ellie. She was the sweetest little Angel you'd ever seen.

2 years later when we were pregnant with Little Man and before we knew he was a boy, we decided if it's a girl we'd name her Elizabeth and call her Ellie. I loved the name. It was THE name. See Hubbie has this problem, every name that I suggest he says "No, I know somebody by that name" I mean, really? I'm going to have to start creating my own??

Here's where the fun started- Hubbie's cousin is married to a girl named Beth. Hubbie never considered what that is short for, until one day when she called our house and her name showed up on caller ID. He's looking at the phone going "Who is Elizabeth [Last Name]?" I said "Oh, that's Beth" and he freaked out. We can't name our baby that, they'll have the same name, she'll think we named the baby after her, FREAK, FREAK, FREAK... then we found out Little Man was a boy so it didn't matter.

2 years later while pregnant with Squirt, I started my petition again, but to no avail. He was hard set against the name now. It didn't matter either, Squirt was a boy too.

Now almost 4 years later, I have given up on that name and fallen in love with a new one: Avery. I saw it almost a year ago, before I was even pregnant and decided that was it. That was THE name. He agreed, Squirt has been calling the baby that from day 1. The other day I'm standing in the kitchen and Hubbie walks in and says "I don't think I like Avery all that much, I think I like Elizabeth again." He's lucky I wasn't holding a knife at the time, because I just MIGHT HAVE KILLED HIM! Now he's petitioning for the name. Although, Squirt can not be winned over, To quote my sweet 3 year old baby boy: "Ellie is an elephant" (Ice Age)

The few people I've told this to say "Yeah, but you can have your name now." But that's the problem, it's not the name anymore, Avery is. But I do still have this pull toward Elizabeth. I'm so torn I can't decide and I don't really like the names together.

Thanks for letting me vent! Any thoughts?

14 comments:

Robins Fam said...

Sorry...no thoughts at all! That's a tough one! But they are both beautiful...picking THE name is so important for a mom. Good luck!

Hailee said...

Nate has a cousin who named her first three girls a nickname for Elizabeth. Not sure if they did it on purpose, but the names are Eliza, Libby and Ellie. There's also Betsy, Elle and Lizzy to choose from. If hubby has to have Elizabeth, there's a lot to choose from for nicknames.

JT42 said...

when we get to this point we finally agree to disagree until baby is born and then we decide...and we usually just know by looking at each other...I like both names-Jake has always wanted an Elizabeth too :)
good luck-you have time to sort it out...

PTA board said...

maybe this doesn't matter to you, but Avery is becoming very popular now. Elizabeth is a pretty, classic name and I haven't heard as many Ellie's as Avery's lately. BTW, this is Rachel.

tHe BrOwn FaMiLy said...

Husbands make it so complcating some times!! One min they like the name and then hate it the next.

Avery Elizabeth sounds pretty. But what ever you decide will be the right name for her. Good Luck on deciding a name...it's been so hard the third time around.

Train Gang said...

I know! husbands can really throw a wrench into this name game! Good luck. I think both names are pretty.

{krista} said...

I say you get to pick the girls names.... And I root for Avery cuz I think it is the cutest name. Avery Elizabeth. We have an Ellie already anyway (Jaidyn Ellie - Drews baby - but she mostly goes by Els, it seems like). Or she'll have to be Avery Ann, after you!

NatalieHemingway said...

I've also hear A LOT of Averys recently. Just wait until you see her. BTW- I've been trying to get someone to consider calling their Elizabeth "Bettie". I think it's SOOOO cute!

S and RA Beazer said...

How about elizabeth Avery or Avery Elizabeth. Either name would be darling.

Bryce said...

I seem to remember going to church with you guys, and to avoid going to young mens I went to Nursery with you.

Adrienne said...

I really like Avery Elizabeth, I think it has a very nice flow to it. It also combines well with your last name too. That's my vote. Or just go with something completely different. Man...naming a kid is pressure!

dawn said...

TWINS would take care of that problem!

Genny said...

I personally like Elizabeth and Ellie...Elizabeth is the name of the best friend I've had since I was 12. Avery is so popular nowadays, although it is a beautiful name. Either way she'll be a darling girl!

Miller Family said...

avery is pretty but a "trendy" name. Elizabeth is timeless