Wednesday, January 21, 2009

It Begins...

Would someone like to explain to me why my Kindergartner just dropped a football and said "Oh, SH*%" ???!??!??!?


Are his 5 year old friends saying things like that?


We've had a lot of problems with taking the Lord's name in vain... At first I freaked out on him about it but now I try not to get real mad about it and just talk with him why we don't do it, because I know he hears it everywhere and it gets in your head. I think I'm getting through to him, I haven't heard it in a long time! And one day we were walking around Sam's Club and he dropped the "F" bomb, although I saw that one coming because he was rhyming... and then decided to rhyme things with truck... truck, muck, stuck, buck, F*%#. And I did freak out on that one because that's just not even negotiable.

But this word just bothers me, he definately didn't hear it from Hubbie or I, but from the TV? Movies? His friends? Who knows!!? I felt bad, he started crying... I know he didn't know it was a bad word, but still... it just makes me sad to see the challenges and temptations that my children will face in their lives and they are already surfacing at the age of 5. I wish there was a way I could protect them, but I know that wouldn't do any good, so I have to just throw them out there and hope and pray that they do what's right. But again, he's 5. Does he know what's right at this point?? Thanks for letting me vent.

5 comments:

Nancy said...

Poor Chasetin! I am sure that he is confused about what words he can and cannot use.
They hear so many things at school. I guess all you can do is let him know when it is a bad word and of course be a good example, (which you are)

S and RA Beazer said...

I remember when Patrick dropped the f-bomb, it shocked his cub scout leader so much she quit. He still thinks she was the best.

{krista} said...

This is one I jsut don't know the answer to (imagine that). We have been known to have quite the potty mouths and my inlaws have HORRIBLE potty mouths, but my kids never swear, never really have that I know of. Justin said his first swear word ever (and it wasn't even a bad one) like two weeks ago and he still feels bad about it. Now words like butthead and idiot are a whole different subject!!! I don't know how you teach them, other than keep after them and let them know what's okay and what's not. Good luck!

JT42 said...

seriously...this is something that i deal with everyday too and i always wonder if it would be better if i protected him a little longer, but you're right we teach and then pray REALLY HARD that they remember their lessons from home.

Cumorah said...

You are a lot further along than I am! I KNOW I am supposed to remain calm in situations, but I don't think I have EVER been able to remain calm, and I haven't had to deal with any cussing yet, my things with my kids are quite a bit more minor than that. So that tells you, I am off to a BAD start with my kiddos. I better correct myself fast if I want them to come to me when they are teenagers!