Monday, February 25, 2008

Squirt Survived!

Squirt had surgery today and did great (I had a night last night filled with dreams of him not waking from the anesthesia, so I'm relieved) He did not understand what we were doing or why he had to sit in the bed, he had the saddest eyes that just said "Save me mom!" It broke my heart... The anesthesioligist led me to believe he would put him to sleep with something he inhales and then they would wheel him in to the Operating room at which point they would put in the IV and all that. Well when it was time, the nurse came in and said "I'll just take him from you and we'll get this started" she hoisted him on her hip like a heavy sack of potatoes (he weighed a whopping 24 lbs!!) and took him away from me screaming, arms out stretched, all red in the face. Good thing he survived, because I couldn't have handled that being my last memory of my little guy.

When he woke up from it all, he was confused of course, looked at his hand and screamed bloody murder, I could hear "no want" in there but I'm the only one who could understand that. His little heart monitor started going crazy because his heart rate nearly doubled in the matter of an instant! But to show you what a sweet little boy he is, he even waved good bye to the nurse in his half drunken state! It was cute.

He slept of the meds all morning and his happily eating lunch right now (and even smiled for the picture below), there is something metal in the hand of the cast that sounds "really cool" when banged against the table and the wall! So he's testing it out well.



(Edited Later) I realized most people probably wouldn't know why Squirt was having surgery, so here's his story: January of 07 Squirt's brilliant mom left a humidfier on a chair, he crawled over to it, and touched the steam, the minute he screamed I knew exactly what had happened... I called the doctor and the nurse on call told me that as long as it was blistering it was okay, (of course this happened on a friday evening) it was good all weekend becuase he was taking anti-biotics for an ear infection. he finished those saturday night and on monday morning when I cleaned his bandage I realized it was now pussing green goop so I rushed him to the doctor, who turned around and rushed him to the hospital, it had become infected (a staff infection I guess) and required IV anti-bioctics. He was in the hospital for several days, becuase of the infection the only veign they could get an IV in was in his forehead, that made for a fun couple of days! Totally on an off note, Little Man took a bath with Squirt that sunday night and had some bug bites on his face, becasue they were in the bath together he got some of the infection in the open sores and they turned all crusty and gross and required some heavy duty anti-biotics as well. Because of our crappy insurance at the time this little blunder cost us about $2500. fortunatly it was tax time, so I took my tax return and turned it over to the hospital!

So as his hand healed, his pinky, ring, and middle finger on his left hand fused together and became webbed. We joked that maybe he'd win an olympic medal one day because he'd be a really great swimmer! The doctors felt that as he grew the webbing would effect his range of motion and possibly the way the fingers grew so they had to put him under and split the webbing. Unfortunatly, to correct the problem, they had to stitch down below his knuckle in his hand, so he'll have a really freaky looking hand for the next few years, they say by the time he's 7 or 8 it should have grown out to look normal.

That's our story!

3 comments:

{krista} said...

Julia, what was the surgery for? I'm glad he came out okay! that would be so tough sending him off screaming, wondering if that's your last memory. How long does he have the cast for?

Genny said...

Oh you poor thing! I feel bad for Tanner, of course, but how heart wrenching that must have been for you!!! Bless your heart. I am glad the surgery went well! :o) Sorry your dreams of Olympic gold are no more.

JT42 said...

holy cow! i can handle surgery for myself, but if I had to send a child in for surgery no matter how minor i don't know that i would last...i'm glad things are well. how long does he have the cast on? how much do they have to monitor the progress of his hand and the "development"?