Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Family Scripture Reading...

Okay, truely... has anyone ever tried this with 2 boys??

About a year ago I heard a talk in church, the talk was on reading scriptures with children and the gal speaking said something to the effect of "Let your children grow up remembering never having NOT read the scriptures as a family." So I went home and announced that we are starting family scripture time. I'm proud to announce a year later we are in .... 2nd Nephi.

Evenings are kind of crazy around here, but we tried to read before bedtime, it lasted about 2 days. We didn't have a lot of structure at the time and the boys went to bed basically when mom and dad couldn't stand the noise any more! When things reached that point, no one was thinking about reading the Book of Mormon. Then we tried reading in the morning, that lasted a few more days. However my husband has this wonderful habit of hitting the snooze button for over and hour and finally dragging himself out of bed about 5 minutes before he needs to leave. Not much time there for scripute study either. So that is why 1 year later we are still in 2nd Nephi. Well I've very recently implemented a little structure in our lives. At 7:00 pm, we get the boys in their jammies and we read scriptures and off to bed. So far it's lasted 4 days! However this is what our first evening went like...

The chapter had 20 versus. In those 20 versus Little Man started doing somersaults, Squirt jumped on the dog and almost got bit for it, A Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle went flying across the room, leaving Squirt's hand and connecting with Little Man's forehead. It started to bleed and there was a lot of screaming, and then we ended the chapter with a game of tag in full swing, both boys chasing each other in a circle around Hubbie and I, who were sitting on the floor.

Ahhhh, how I love children! Hubbie and I just looked at each other. The boys had won this round and we had lost! I keep telling myself (and Hubbie- who was ready to give up right then and there) that it's because they are not used to it yet and becuase we are in the Isaiah Chapters and basically I felt like doing somersaults too. So there's my story... it will get better right?

No comments: