Friday, May 11, 2012

My garden :)


I have kindof a semi-green thumb, kindof brownish- green. But this year I was determined to change all of that.   Thanks to Pinterest I had gardening ideas/tips coming out my ears, I have a "board" dedicated to it called "Garden Awesomeness". So back in December I got seeds and planted them in little bio-degradable cups. I watered them, tucked them in at night when it got cold, fed them plant food. These little seedlings got more love than my kids do on some days (kidding, kidding.... well kindof!)  Come march we prepped the ground with all kinds of mulch/compost. I dug holes and put in some drainage pipes scattered thru-out the garden. The thinking here was that it will water the roots deeper, encouraging them to grow. So far it seems to be working. I found the idea here.  Of course I water up top too.

Thanks to all of the HELP I have around here, most of my little seedlings got trampled. Cucumbers got stepped on while Squirt was helping dig a hole for the tomatoes: "oops!".   Bell peppers got stepped on while Hubbie was watering the Zucchini:  "what, there was a plant there?"   Canteloupe has been stepped on twice by Ladybug. We are now on our 3rd try.... It's about 3 inches tall, if it had been able to grow from the beginning, I'd probably have fruit by now!    Jalepeno's were there one day and gone the next... that one is still a mystery. So anyway, I've replenished everything with some help from the nursery.
This is a pic of my zucchini in the back left (I could loose a small child in that plant, by the way!)  and several cages of Roma Tomatoes. The one in the middle refuses to grow up, it just keeps getting wider for some reason. It's full of green tomatoes though!!
This is Heirloom tomatoes on the left (huge plants, not a single flower on them:(  Cucumbers growing up a trellis I made! (found here) Lettuce and spinach underneath, and Green beans growing in the back, I have some poles for them to grow up but so far they are not cooperating! (found here)



I've been using this book as a guide, since it specializes in "hostile deserts."  He's got me using all kinds of crazy things like liquid seaweed and fish emulsion, they both leave by back yard smelling like a fish hatchery, and the flies around here are insane, but I swear to you, my lettuce doubled in size overnight!


So here's what I'm growing:

Zucchini,  Cherry Tomatoes, Roma Tomatoes, Tomatillo's,
Prudent Purple Heirloom tomatoes,  Green Beans, Cucumbers,
Summer Squash, Lettuce, Spinach, Red Bell Peppers, Anaheim Chiles,
Jalapeno's, Parsley, Cilantro, Dill, Green Onions, Basil and Cantaloupe.

Can't wait till I'm drowning in veggies, If you live nearby I'll definitely be sharing!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so awesome! I've got three tomato plants in teeny pots staked up with dowels because we don't have any room on our patio for the round circly things. They have baby tomatoes though so I'm excited!

Nancy said...

Wow! Your garden looks amazing! It looks like you sure have a green thumb this year.