Friday, April 20, 2012

My husband has issues with cars, it's no secret.  He just bought car #11 last weekend. That officially makes it one for every year we've been married.



He's been talking about buying a new car since the last one was about a month old. He was in a rush to buy a car last time and came home with a royal blue PT Cruiser. It was the strangest purchased he'd ever made, and to make matters worse, when he got the license plate in the mail a few days later, it said "AMY 956" (there is another person down the road with a AMY license plate and my neighbor has an AMZ plate, so I guess he just got the bad luck of falling at that point in the alphabet) Because of the combination he got made fun of by nearly everyone that met him.

Well last week I started getting some emails from cars.com. Then he went "looking" on Saturday and I got a text asking for my Social Security Number, I knew I was screwed at that point.

Well, I now have one happy man on my hands, and my kids are ecstatic because new cars are just too cool (and too frequent around here!) And don't tell my Hubbie, but it is AWESOME to drive. I feel so high up and powerful, kindof makes going back to the mini-van day after day a little bit sad!

Here's his history, it's kindof comical but boring. You can skip it if you want, I won't be offended:)
When we got married,  Hubbie had a Ford Ranger (#1), when we were literally 1 month from paying it off, he decided he wanted a Jeep Cherokee (#2). Then we added a 2nd car, a Mazda truck (#3). We were just making the payments for his brother, and he wanted to get it off his credit so he sold it a few months later, and Hubbie got a Dodge Ram (#4). The Ram started making a funny noise that the mechanic said sounded expensive, so he decided to trade it in on a Chevy Malibu for me (#5) and he'd drive the Jeep.  A few months later my brother totaled the Jeep, leaving my husband no choice but to buy his dream car a Jeep Wrangler (#6). It only took about 6 months to realize that a Wrangler can't even hold groceries, let alone a child and all the crap that go with them, so he sold that and bought a Dodge Dakota (#7).  Meanwhile, the Malibu I was driving was a total lemon and was in the dealership every other week having work done to it, at probably the 10th visit to the dealership Hubbie declared that he was not leaving with this car and they better give him a deal on something else, and he came home with my mini-van (#8) I'm still driving that car 5 years later by the way.  Meanwhile, the economy slowed down and we couldn't afford the Dodge Dakota anymore, so he sold it and bought a Pontiac Grand-Prix (#9). The boys named it Daddy's race car. It probably only took about 6 months to realize that he got a shady deal and the Pontiac was dying. It sat in our drive way for quite some time, but Hubbie was working nights, and I was working days, so it didn't really matter. When Hubbie got the call that he was being transferred to days in a week, he had to get a new car, and in came the rushed purchase of the PT Cruiser (#10).  He drove that for 2 whole years and then traded it in on the truck (#11) and ON THE WAY HOME FROM THE DEALERSHIP said "I bet I could get them to give me a deal on the van..."   Lord, Help me. I might kill him!

Good times, people... good times. I have a dream that one day I won't spend a small fortune each month on car payments. One day, one day...

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I guess it makes life interesting for you!

{krista} said...

I feel your pain! It wasn't until last year that we finally said, holy cow, how much nicer would it be if we didn't have car payments? Needless to say, this is the longest we have ever owned one car, over 4 years now (and one of them is actually paid off!). Although, he is threatening to trade his truck in.