Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Tanner's birthday!



Unfortunately, I didn’t get any pictures, but Tanner also had a birthday. He turned the big 7!  I hid 7 presents throughout the house and sent him on a scavenger hunt, each with a clue that told something we love about him. It’s probably just middle child syndrome, but he really needs to hear how and why we love him often (I mean, everyone want to hear they are loved, but Tanner needs it a little more often) I think he had a good day, and I found the last clue (a big sign that said We love love love you) taped to his wall later. He got several little things, but the highlights were water color paints from Grandma Dial, money from Grandma Mortensen, and a remote control truck from us (that he broke with-in 4 hours of owning- Thank goodness for a good return policy, we are now on our 3rd, they just don’t make those things like they used to)
There are a lot of things we love about Tanner. He can be the most kind, loving, helpful brother & friend. But tick him off and you will see a little Demon come out. He is very sensitive to the needs of others, and will often times give up something he wanted, to make someone happy. Other days though, you can’t mess with him. We had an incident the other day where he was sent to the principal for hitting. My first reaction was like “What the heck??!?” But after talking to him, this little punk cut in line at recess and stole his swing, he refused to get off and so he punched him.  I wasn’t necessarily praising it, but he stood up for himself, instead of being a doormat, so I guess for that I’m grateful!
Tanner doesn’t have very many things that he is passionate about. Baseball was boring, Karate was lame, Basketball was just ok. But ART on the other hand, he lives for. He loves to draw, color, paint, craft, etc. Any of it. And ALL DAY LONG!  I recently found out about one of the schools in our district that starts a pretty heavy art program in 5th grade. They have to submit their portfolio and all that crazy business to get in. If he continues in this path, I’m going to seriously consider moving him there when the time comes.
He’s doing good in school and I’ve seen a huge improvement in the last few months. Reading finally just clicked in his head and his confidence while doing it has grown by leaps and bounds.  

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Tanner is a very special little boy. I didn't realize he was into art so much, that is great!

By the way, you make me cry when I read these things about the kids. I miss them so much. One of these days we will live closer to you and will be able to see you guys more often.